GringoPost | Ecuador: Applying for an extended tourist visa in Cuenca, Ecuador

Logo HTML1

Ecuador-logo HTML40

The Fusion Pocket Radio (Test)

Search HTML3

Applying for an extended tourist visa in Cuenca, Ecuador

Written on 8 September, 2017

I have no idea what this visa is actually called but here is the process I used to successfully apply, maybe.

First let me say, if you have the money, hire someone to help you do this. The process is insanely difficult even for Ecuadorians to navigate and the rules are in flux. If you don't have someone giving you good information it is kinda crazy.

I went to so many ministries and got so many different answers. Once I actually have the passport stamp, I will write a post detailing the process but by then it will likely have changed. In the meantime, I'm sharing what I know about getting an extended tourist visa - not the 12-IX which doesn't exist anymore, maybe.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Cuenca (has moved many times in recent years and people will try to be helpful and tell you where it is now). It is currently closed (I posted a photo of the sign in the window on Google maps). This ministry is where you submit all of your documents and pay for your application fee, and if all goes well, get your stamp. The ministry of the same name in Azogues has no appointments until October. So, you will need to travel to the ministry in Machala (currently Google maps has the location correct. There is a very good seafood restaurant on your way into town just off the main road into town called El Costenito that I highly recommend, I'll write a review on Google for them in the next day or so.

You must have an appointment (schedule it here and it helps if you have a copy of the email ready because there is no free WIFI in the office and the building gets no Moviestar Internet on my iPhone, I went up a few floors to download the email. I recommend that you show up for your appointment at least an hour early and then be prepared to wait.

Documents you will need that can be obtained at the airport:

1. Certicado de Antecendentes Penales - simply proves that you haven't committed crimes in Ecuador
* Free
* Requires color copy of passport photo page and your T3 sello (the stamp you got when you entered Ecuador and allows you 90 days as a tourist)
* This document can be downloaded as a PDF in 48 hours from here -

2. Certicado de Movimeto Migratorio (don't really know what this is but, it is searchable online, I didn't really care)
* Costs $5 (you should bring exact change)
* I just took a city bus out here

3. Visa application form (Formlario de Solicitud de Visa no Immigante)
* Easily found with Google
* Glue on a Visa photo (I took the photo and had 6 printed on my own, but it is important to pay attention to the size and other requirements)

4. Proof of health insurance (I think it is possible to get Ecuadorian health insurance for about $60 a month but I am planning on traveling more than just in Ecuador so internation made more sense for me)
* I used Atlas because it is fairly cheap and minimal because I have good health insurance at home and am healthy

5. Letter of intention
* I had an Ecuadorian friend write mine for me

6. Color copy of your passport

7. Color copy of your T3 visa stamp

8. Bank statement in Spanish (might not need to be translated but my bank had a option to switch language in the preferences) showing ample resources (I don't know how much is required but Google it and maybe the answer provided is true)

This information is very fleeting so take it with a "grain of salt." Feel free to email me at timotaye (at) and I'll try to get back to you with any information I have. There is at least one very important detail that I have omitted because I have spent way too much time on this process already.

Tim Thayer